1. If you are driving in an area where carjacking have occurred, keep your car doors locked and your windows closed.
2. Keep a reasonable distance between you and the car in front of you will allow for easier maneuverability to escape from danger.
3. When slowing down to stop at an intersection, be alert for suspicious looking people loitering on either side of the road.
4. Be alert for strangers loitering near the entrance of your home. If you note such a situation, it would be safer to drive on and return home later, or you may decide to drive to the nearest police station.
5. If a car bumps into the rear of your car, be cautious about getting out inspect the damage. It might be a ruse. If an accident like this happens in a high risk area, it would be safer to drive on to the nearest police station.
6. If you have to wait in a parked car in a high risk area or in an area where there are few people around, be alert to what is happening in front of you and behind you. If you suspects danger, start the car and drive around the block.